Image Map

12 March 2014

What's Cooking… Easy Blueberry Muffins

After almost three months, I am back in my own kitchen with my own crap (oops, I mean my own vast collection of kitchen equipment) and I am enjoying cooking some old and new favorites.
I made blueberry muffins today. Yummo!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder (I used 3 tsp because baking powder in the UK isn't as strong as in the US)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I only had olive oil so I used that. There is a reason why olive oil isn't a great substitute for baking - it has a strong flavor. But, it was all I had, so I could live with it)
1 large egg
1/3 - 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Heat the oven to 400 (205 degrees celcius).  Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners and add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the empty muffin cups to help with even baking.

Combine flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

In a 2 cup measuring cup, add vegetable oil, then the egg, and then the milk until ingredients come to the 1 cup line. Add vanilla and whisk until combined.

Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients and use a fork to combine Do not over mix (batter should be thick, don't worry). Add blueberries and fold them in gently with a rubber scraper or spoon.

Cook for 15-20 minutes.

(Now, I am still learning the ins and outs of my oven, so my muffins took a lot longer to cook. In the first 10 minutes, they had browned nicely, but were a long way from finished, so I covered them with foil, and keep checking them at 5 minute intervals to check their progress.  They took 35 minutes to cook. Go figure!)



No comments:

Post a Comment